November 11, 2012

Veterans Day


Today is a special day where those of us in the United States remember our military personal throughout the world. Please join me in welcoming Rita Henuber as she tells us more about the importance of this day.

Veterans Day, formerly known as Armistice Day, was originally set as a holiday to honor the end of World War I, which officially took place on November 11, 1918. It is also celebrated as Armistice Day or Remembrance Day in other parts of the world.

In 1954 Congress amended the Act of 1938 by striking out the word "Armistice" and inserting the word "Veterans." On June 1, 1954, November 11 became a day to honor American veterans of all wars.

Our modern military epitomize honor, duty, and commitment. They are the youngest, most educated, dedicated and highly trained military to have served this country. You don’t need to shove them towards danger you need to hold them back. Many people think courage is the absence of fear. It isn’t! Courage is fear overcome. The willingness to face a danger to protect someone else. A man or woman, who one day is wearing body armor and carrying an H&K416 and the next is wearing a barfy t-shirt and carrying their child is my definition of heroes and heroines.

As you have read, I refer to men and women who serve. While we are more than acquainted with the names of our heroes, it’s my observation we tend to overlook our brave heroines who have put themselves in harms way for us. I’d like to ask you remember...

 aVietnam military nurses who saved the lives of hundreds and comforted those who could not be saved.

aWWII women Air Force service pilots who did not get recognition or benefits until 1977.

aSgt Kimberly Munley who stopped the Ft Hood assassin.

aAll the woman who currently serve in each branch of the military.

By the way, if you are interested in learning about women who have served recently try the book, Band of Sisters. It offers insight from the women who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan.

As you may have guessed, I write military stories. I come from a family, who over the years, have served in every branch of the service in every conflict since WWI. My husband and a son were in the military. I am also a long time government employee. Authors tend to write what we know and so, I like to think I know enough about the military and government service to use it in my books.

Many people have no contact with the military and government outside of books. This is the reason I’m so particular in how I portray my characters. Even though it’s not the way they do it on TV.  My heroines are the ones in the military. The heroes are in government service and they give and get honor and respect. Which is what I ask you do this veteran’s day to all who serve and protect us. 

To learn more about Rita and her books visit her web home at http://ritahenuber.com.  

4 comments:

  1. Here in Australia we call it Remembrance Day. It's a time to reflect & pay tribute to lose who fought, those who fell and to those currently serving.

    I'm just about to go visit Rita at her site.

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary thank you for sharing. If you have a Veteran in your family or know one please tell them I said thank you.

    ReplyDelete